Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Sapphire blue, 3 strand, multi strand blue

Rhea, I have read some of your reviews and I like the emphasis you put on the balance of jewelry that stands out, but is not overly flashy. My wife's birthday is coming up, do you have any suggestions?

Do you have a few photos of her wearing jewelry; can you give me something to go on?


Well, for her birthday I am taking her horseback riding at CJM stables in Poipu, I was hoping to give her something there.

OK, what I have in mind is NOT rough and tumble;  that is a good operation with well behaved horses. I am thinking about a 3 strand of blue sapphires. Most of the stock in the store is multi-colored and they certainly have their place, but when I think about sapphires, I think about blue and when you see them outdoors, I think you will be impressed. Why don't you take these outside of the shop and see for yourself.

What do you mean "NOT rough and tumble," I thought sapphires are tough.

The individual stones, very much so, 9 on the Mohs scale, right up there with diamonds. The string that holds the piece together, not so much.

Do you think these are heat treated?

Rhea nodded affirmatively, almost certainly. Most natural sapphires are brown, or pale. Heat treating releases their glory. Remember the rule of Bestow, we are here to facilitate giving your love one a fine gift they will wear, or use. If you are trying to add to the Crown Jewels, you need to shop somewhere else. I don't have any sapphires or rubies that aren't heat treated, but I do try to stay away from dyed.

However, I have a strong preference to the more natural lighter blue. Some of the heat treated get such an intense blue that I have to test them for dye.

And if you want more wow factor, add more strands!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black pearl effect

BLAC071418 with agate/onyx 18" micro facet Did you hear John Harris passed? I going to the memorial tomorrow. Rhea answered, I did...