Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Black Tahitian Pearls and 60" knotted Rhodonite

Princess Rhea, may I ask a question?
Certainly, what's up?

Last year, I came in here and bought my wife a strand of black hand knotted Tahitian pearls, I think she wears them every day. Now her birthday is coming up. I think she has 10 or so rings, doesn't wear bracelets, I like that string of rhodonites, but I don't know if she would wear it.

Well, black pearls do go with almost everything, but there are lots of choices that go with black pearls, even showcase them.


Rhodonites are not that common. There are sites around the world, but nothing huge, because you need metamorphic rock and the black manganese oxide that makes it so interesting. The facet quality crystals are very rare and easy to shatter, so they are not generally fashioned into jewelry. However, the high quality rock with the oxides are fun. As you can see, it doesn't usually take a high polish.
Mohs Hardness is about a 6. Sometimes it is red, more commonly pink.

When you find a specimen with the oxides, it bangs next to black pearls. Since that is a 60" string, you really want something with a knot after each stone, or a break could be disastrous. Remember the ball bearing scene at the end of Animal House? OSHA would not approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black pearl effect

BLAC071418 with agate/onyx 18" micro facet Did you hear John Harris passed? I going to the memorial tomorrow. Rhea answered, I did...