Thursday, March 15, 2018

Sunstone double strand

Rhea, what is your opinion about sunstone?

I don't have one Mercy, there are many grades of sunstone, they are mining gem quality faceted ones in Oregon. That said, most of it runs in the moonstone, labradorite, quality and price. Why do you ask?

I bought a strand of sunstones. I liked them because they are so warm. But they seem to disappear when I wear them, said Mercy.

I get that. Only a tiny fraction of all the sunstone mined exhibits aventurescence, or schiller, that unique glow caused by inclusions in the gem to a large degree. With the more common sunstone, sometimes you can find some large ones 9 mm or so, or randomly shaped large nuggets. Even with less of the schiller effect, the larger pieces often carry the day. Do you have your necklace?

Rhea handled the necklace carefully, watching it in both natural and artificial light. My best suggestion is to consider getting a second strand just like the first and wearing both of them. It will blend in, but not so much that it disappears. I can show you a few samples if you like?

Thank you. You said true gem quality exists...

Yes, I have one in the safe, hand selected the loose rock rock at a gem show, poured the setting myself, it is definitely not for sale.

What I look for at Bestow, are pieces that are good enough quality that you get the glittery, spangled metallic reflections, but I don't try to stock the high end product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black pearl effect

BLAC071418 with agate/onyx 18" micro facet Did you hear John Harris passed? I going to the memorial tomorrow. Rhea answered, I did...